20 July 2011

Terrific Tuesdays

Hiya!

It's HOT here.  Too hot to turn on the oven (which means I can't satisfy this HUGE craving I've been having recently to bake cookies...it's starting to get seriously annoying).  Too hot to go running (even in the morning).  And definitely too hot to spend a lot of time outside.  Bummer, right?

Well, Tuesday's itinerary seemed to satisfy the need for coolness and my desire to actually DO something, instead of just bumming around all day (hello Monday!).  So what did I do?


The morning started off with a VERY early wake up time in order to get to the MET early enough to not have to queue up for a lifetime in order to see the very talked about and hyped show: Alexander McQueen Savage Beauty.

It was super crowded, impacting one's ability to actually see the clothing.  I had very mixed feelings about the show, I'll share them in a later post.


After that it was time for a coffee in one of the MET's many cafes.  I got a cappuccino and was expecting some dirty water, though it wasn't actually half bad.  Of course I've had better cappuccini, but I've also had worse.  That being said, I was originally going to get water until I saw their fancy espresso machine.  A fancy machine surely means good coffee, no?

My mother and I had no other plans for the morning, except to head over to Candle Cafe for lunch.  Since we still had some time left before either of us got hungry, we walked through the museum a bit and talked about our feelings about the McQueen show.

Once we worked up an appetite, we hoofed it over to Candle Cafe, though not before stopping at Sur La Table to get some silicone baking cups.  I've been wanting these things since FOREVER and am so glad to finally get them!  I also got a small little heart pan that I have big plans for upon the return to uni and cooking for one.


Candle Cafe was, in a word, awesome.  I've been wanting to go there for quite a while and am so glad I finally made it up there!  It took me forever to decide what to order, partly because by that time I was properly starving and partly because everything looked good!  After some serious deliberation, I decided on the Ginger Miso Stirfry.  I was a little apprehensive about ordering this, not because I didn't think it would be good, but because it seemed a bit normal.  Since I was at a vegan restaurant, surely I should order something totally vegan, like the tuscan lasagna or a seitan sandwich?  Once I took my first bite, however, I was thrilled I with my choice.  The chunks of tofu tasted brilliant, the vegetables were fresh and the rice was spectacular.  I have to say that the ginger miso sauce really brought the whole dish together and was unlike other sauces I have had with similar meals.  A total winner.


My mom got a Green Goddess and the Cajun Seitan Sandwich.  We ended up splitting the juice, which had a lovely fresh, yet spicy flavor.  I might not get it again, but was glad to have tried it.  The cajun seitan sandwich (yes, I definitely had some ;) ) was awesome.  My mom said she felt like it was a little heavy, with the fried seitan and the bread, but I just loved it.  The avocado slices on the sandwich perfectly complemented the spiciness of the seitan and bitterness of the sauteed greens.  She also said the coleslaw was spectacular, I didn't try any as I don't particularly like coleslaw.


Then it was time for one of my favorite New York stores, Bloomingdales!  I went their knowing that I wanted to get some Kiehl's products, their grooming cream and a conditioner to be exact, but also ended up getting some lipgloss.  We walked around a bit, but their contemporary clothing floor was mostly under construction...oh well, still got in a good walk through shoes!

That was basically my Tuesday in a nutshell.  I'm hoping to get some more recipes up soon, though you may have to wait until it cools down a bit!  In the meantime, I'll be eating fro-yo like it's my job (you mean it isn't?) ;)

What's been going on with you lately?  Is it hot where you are?


Un Bacione,

Emilia

No comments:

Post a Comment