8 July 2011

Cupcake Friday: The Best Cupcakes in New York City

It's hot here.  Like really hot.  So hot that I don't even want to turn on the oven and bake cupcakes this week.  Instead, let's talk about my favorite places to eat cupcakes in New York.  There are so many options, it helps to sort through the muck and find the truly quality cupcake-eries.

Emilia's Top 5 Cupcake Shops in New York.


1. Crumbs.  Does this really come as a surprise?  I adore Crumb's cupcakes for their interesting flavor combinations, the perfect ratio of frosting to cake and the cake itself.  Try them once and you'll keep coming back, I guarantee.


2. Magnolia Bakery.  There's a reason that this bakery has lines snaking around the block, their cupcakes are good!  The vanilla frosting is absolutely brilliant, sweet but not too buttery.  Try vanilla vanilla here, it's a winner!  Plus, the cupcakes are completely adorable.


3. Sugar Sweet Sunshine.  A friend introduced me to these cupcakes a couple of years ago and I've never looked back.  They are positively delicious.  What makes these truly stand out are the deep rich flavors.  Everything tastes spot on.  Not an ideal location, but worth going out of your way for.


4. Buttercup Bake Shop.  Owned by the same people as Magnolia, but different enough to be put on the list as a separate entry.  The cupcakes are moist (though a touch dryer than Magnolia) with even more frosting. I prefer the chocolate frosting here, the vanilla gets a bit too sweet.


5. Cupcake Cafe.  The real star of the show here is the cake part of the cupcake, an ideal combination of moist and crumbly.  I'm not a huge fan of the vanilla icing, which verges on too buttery for me, but the chocolate is fantastic.

What is your favorite cupcake flavor?  Do you like a lot of frosting or a little frosting?
I love chocolatey cupcakes with lots of frosting!


Un Bacione,

Emilia

No comments:

Post a Comment