1 July 2011

Cupcakes Take Two

Another Friday, another cupcake post!  Up this week we have one crumbs inspired beauty and one Emilia flavor creation.  The crumbs edition was cookies and cream (my favorite) and my personal concoction was with jam and granola.  I call it, the 'New House' cupcake because as of today I'm renting a house.  Oh yeah.


The cupcake recipe was, again, my favorite vegan one.  I wanted chocolate cake for the cookies and cream one, so I used a little less flour and added in some coco powder.  For flour, I used whole wheat pastry flour and sugar was brown sugar.

Now the frostings were all my own creations this week.


Cookies and Cream Frosting
1 tbsp (plus a wee bit more) Coconut Butter
1 tsp Agave syrup
splash of vanilla
Chocolate Cookie Crumbs (I used these in chocolate)

Combine the coconut butter, agave and vanilla in a bowl.  Stir until combined.  Add in some chocolate cookie crumbs, save the rest for decorating the top.


To create the New Home cupcake, I used blueberry jam and threw on some Ezekiel cereal.  This combination of flavors worked really well and got me thinking about creating a peanut butter and jelly cupcake, it might be coming soon!

Both cupcakes were also filled.  The cookies and cream one had some chocolate cookie crumbs with a little coconut butter (not frosting), while the New House cupcake was filled with a mixture of jelly and cereal.  Look here for a tutorial about filling cupcakes.


I think the cupcakes this week were even better than last week!  I loved the idea of the cappuccino cupcake, but the buttercream just didn't work out for me.  The almond butter frosting also didn't really sit well with me.  This week, the coconut butter frosting turned out perfectly and the jelly imparted a really nice sweetness, though not cloying.  I'd definitely suggest making these cupcakes!

What is your favorite cupcake?  Do you prefer store-bought or homemade?

Un Bacione,

Emilia

No comments:

Post a Comment